Saturday, May 9, 2015

Days Like Today

What is so interesting/frustrating about bipolar is how things shift at a moment's notice. But, that is the nature of the beast. Today, I tried to wake my son four times between 9-11:30. Fourth time was a charm! I tried to get him to watch an Adam Sandler movie with me (one of his favorites, thanks to his uncle), but he refused and wanted to watch tv by himself. I checked in on him at least every hour, made an ass of myself to try and get him to  laugh(eye roll central. Lol), offered to shoot hoops and was declined (sports is his favorite thing), woke him from a nap attempt at about 2pm and until the evening, despite my best efforts, I couldn't even get him to smile. This, my friends is the down cycle of bipolar aka the depression. Then the shift happened. He was overly giddy, laughing like a madman, antsy, physical towards others. Normally, as mother to a bipolar child, I relish in the times my son is able to feel true joy, but this was not it. For those of you who know an adult living with bipolar, children are far different. Adults usually cycle in multi-day even week increments. Children can cycle multiple times per day. My son had his antipsychotic reduced a few weeks ago to see how he'd do. A week ago, I noticed a marked difference. At that time, I requested he be put back on his original med regime. I am hoping that what I saw today is only the aftereffects of the brief med "trial". Regardless, this mama is on high alert...

No comments:

Post a Comment